The AA has launched a garage finder tool for motorists to help them find a great local garage for servicing and repairs.
The garage tool finder, called the “AA Garage Guide”, is billed as unique in the market because it ranks workshops and garages by quality and standards, not price.
This new approach to an online garage finder tool is in response to AA members and UK motorists having told them that finding a great local garage can be a challenge, which is why they have launched the AA Garage Guide to help find and book with great garages near you.
If you’re looking for a great local garage, start by using the garage finder tool which will allow you to browse workshops local to you. Each one of these garages have been assessed, so you can be confident they have operating standards and conduct their businesses professionally.
To guide you to select the garage that is right for you, review the AA’s top 5 tips:
- Check if the garage is part of any reputable industry schemes. We champion The Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) who accredit professionally trained technicians; and the Trading Standards approved code Motor Codes which garages join and agree to operate to their set code of conduct and operational standards.
- Be happy with the explanation of what work is required: its always helpful if the staff and technicians have good customer service and help diagnose and explain the problem to you clearly. If they can’t give a fixed price for a particular piece of work, make sure they explain the issue and give a detailed breakdown of the repair costs for both parts and labour.
- If your vehicle is under warranty and you take the car to an independent garage, check whether original manufacturer parts are used and that the garage can guarantee your warranty is protected. If you car is not under warranty, you may still want to know the quality of the parts used.
- See if there are any garage reviews or recommendations from previous customers to give you peace of mind if you haven’t used the garage before.
- For many people, their car, van or motorbike is essential to their everyday life. If you rely on your car to get you to and from work, or the school run, make sure you ask the garage how long the work will take. If they can’t give you a definitive answer ask if they can provide a courtesy car while your vehicle is being repaired.
Alongside this new garage finder tool, the AA app and website are also being enhanced to enable motorists to manage all aspects of their vehicle ownership — from tax, MOT and insurance documents to vehicle servicing and repair service records — in a secure, cloud-based environment.
Lucy Burnford, co-founder of AA Garage Guide, said: “In recent years, there has been an explosion in online service booking platforms, but these are price-focused rather than quality-led, which we don’t think best serves UK motorists or attracts the best businesses.
“Also, many of these booking platforms aren’t available to franchised dealers, so are not genuinely whole-of-market.
“As a result, AA Garage Guide hosts both franchised dealerships and independent garages with the focus on quality and standards rather than price. The platform is something we feel will really appeal to; and benefit, both the industry and the millions of UK motorists.”
Edmund King, AA president, adds: “88% of our members tell us that trust and reliability are more important than price when choosing a dealer or garage and it was very much with this in mind that we created AA Garage Guide.
“The goal of this powerful new search tool is twofold: to deliver more custom to high quality dealerships and independent garages, and to provide a premium experience to our members.
“The AA Garage Guide is a unique online system where car owners in search of quality service can effortlessly search for, and book online, the very best dealers and garages.”